by Terry Hogan
Just about everyone who has lived
in Galesburg for a few years knows the name and probably knows that he was born
in Galesburg. Probably you know he
was a poet and wrote a little ditty about fog and cat’s feet. You may, unfortunately, think he
shopped at the Sandburg Mall, attended Sandburg Jr. College and lived on
Sandburg Drive. I hope not, but it
With another year passing and
Sandburg Days approaching once again, I thought it might be interesting to
cheat a bit on the Backtracking column
range of articles to provide a “pop quiz” on Sandburg. The answers (mine anyway) are at the
end of the column, but no peeking.
Like any good teacher, my answers are correct, even if they’re wrong.
Please take out a clean white
sheet of paper; write your name legibly on the upper right corner, followed by
today’s date. Place numbers
1 through 20, in sequence along the left margin of the paper. Please remove all books, papers, and
purses from the top of your desk.
You will have 15 minutes to complete the exam (Make you a little
- Carl Sandburg’s autobiography of growing up in
Galesburg is entitled ……………
- Carl Sandburg is buried in what city? (Chicago,
Washington, D.C., Galesburg)
- Carl Sandburg attended what college? (Lombard, Knox,
- Carl Sandburg received which of the following awards?
(Pulitzer, Noble Peace, Order of Red Star, GAR)
- Carl Sandburg’s only novel was entitled….
- Helga Sandburg is Carl’s (daughter, niece,
granddaughter, “trophy wife”)
- Carl Sandburg was a soldier during (WWI, WWII,
Spanish American, Civil)
- Carl Sandburg is probably best known for writing a
biography about whom?
- Carl Sandburg wrote an autobiography about whom?
- Carl Sandburg was a newspaper reporter in Chicago
(True or False).
- Carl Sandburg was taken to jail by the Galesburg
police when he was a boy (True or False).
- Carl Sandburg had a sister who taught school at
Bishop Hill (True or False).
- Carl Sandburg often played a banjo and sang old songs
as part of his public performance (True or False).
- Carl Sandburg’s wife was a noted breeder of (horses,
pigs, goats, killer bees).
- Carl Sandburg’s father worked as a (greenhouse
worker, a teacher, a blacksmith, a farmer)?
- Despite being born in Galesburg, once Carl Sandburg
left and became successful, he never returned (True or False).
- Carl Sandburg paid for the purchase of his birthplace
and its restoration (True or False).
once worked for the Galesburg Fire Department (True or False).
- Carl Sandburg’s father’s name wasn’t Sandburg when he
left Sweden (True or False).
Sandburg is buried under (a large rock from Illinois; a weeping willow; a
statue of Lincoln; Old Main, Knox College).
- Always the Young Strangers
- Remembrance Rock
- Spanish American
- Himself (just seeing if you’re paying attention)
- True, for swimming in a brickyard pond
- False, guitar
- CB&Q blacksmith (helper)
- True, he “took the name” after arriving in the US
(commonly done by Swedes)
- Large Rock (“Remembrance Rock”) at his birthplace in
Score your own results. Each question is worth 5 points. If you score less than 90 you are
required to read Backtracking, without
failure, for the next 12 months. If you score 90 or greater, you can feel
discretely smug for the rest of the day.