NATURAL ANTI AGING
Since before recorded history mankind has sought ways to stay youthful and vibrant. Look into vintage magazines and there you will find all nature of potions, pills and devices that are guaranteed to restore a state of youthful vitality, everything from wrinkle reducers, hair restorers and cures for aches and pains of advancing age. Even smoking advertisements made claims that lighting up would help keep you slim and more youthful.
Thanks to advances in the science of healthy aging, public health and diverse knowledge about healthy living, we now have many new tools to stay young well past the ages of our parents and grandparents. Although simply taking supplements on a regular basis and ignoring the obvious is the same as taking out a poor insurance policy.
1. Keep your air space clean. DonÕt pollute your air space with noxious perfumes, room deodorizers, perfumed laundry soaps, fabric softeners and household cleaners.
2. Drink only purified water. Fortunately, we live in a country where the public drinking water is second to none, but oh the chlorine. This chemical has a terrible affect on the digestive tract destroying necessary enzymes vital for proper digestion and assimilation.
3. Rid yourself of other chemicals by going natural as much as can. This includes eating organic, using natural cosmetics, soaps and toiletries such as toothpaste and deodorants.
4. Move your body. An aerobic workout of 30 minutes 3-5 times weekly, brisk walking, going to the gym is a must. It lowers blood pressure and heart rate, improves the quality of sleep, strengthens aging bones and organ systems just to name a few.
5. B vitamins, digestive enzymes and glucosamine chondrotin are musts. You may want to add other herbs or supplements to that regimen but start with those three.
6. Quality sleep is a must. Lack of sleep has been shown to reduce immunity, raise stress hormone levels, dull mental acuity and age the skin.
7. Reduce alcohol intake. Yes, thereÕs the idea that red wine reduces heart disease- recent studies show that you would have to drink 3-5 bottles daily to obtain any positive effects. Alcohol slows liver and digestive function and kills brain cells.
8. Eat smaller portions, especially meat and load up on steamed and raw vegetables. Their anti-oxidant anti-aging effect helps the bodyÕs organ systems run smoothly and efficiently, and they help shed toxins.
9. Learn to lighten up. Find a hobby you can be passionate about. Learn a new skill. New ideas, new ventures helps sweep away mental cobwebs and keeps the mind sharp.
10. Take an interest in the next generation, a pet or a volunteer group. Getting beyond yourself- outside yourself brings inspiration, a commitment and desire to be better and improve. Simply put, itÕs that gleam that you see in someoneÕs eyes that says IÕm alive and my life matters.
Aging is a natural process, one we cannot change. But, you can positively effect the quality of your aging. Till next time, Rebecca