LEAVE IT TO PEEVER
-Bumper sticker of the week: You canÕt be all that you can be if youÕre dead.
-Quote of the week: ÒItÕs not what youÕve been given, itÕs what you do with what you got. WhatÕs the use of two strong legs, if all you do is run away. And whatÕs the use of two good ears, if you canÕt hear those you love.Ó Eddi Reader
-O.T. Johnson site remains GalesburgÕs most representative attraction: The Galesburg City administration canÕt even manage to clean up the O.T. Johnson mess. And they think they can talk the Japanese into coming to town. On both counts, weÕre again wasting a lot of money.
-Speaking of tourist attractions: I havenÕt heard must about the Railroad Hall of Fame lately. I understand there are about 1300 railroad lines left in the U.S. I wonder how many of them have contributed? That would be good information for the fund raisers to let out. Maybe.
-IMPEACH BUSH AND CHENEY.
-Pope Benedict proves to be everything I was afraid he was: A right-wing Christian martyr. Just what we needed. I bet he sits on his throne and marvels at the triumph of the Opus Dei controlling the U.S. Supreme Court.
-Not even the fireworks worked this year. ThatÕs how tough the times are getting in Galesburg.
-What would you do?:
* Suppose youÕre husband was dying, and the only way you could afford the medications he needs to stay alive is to prostitute your body.
* You have a 100% fatal disease, with ten days to live.
* On the one hand, you could ignore your friend stealing $300 from your house. On the other, you could turn him in.
* You find out your son is gay. Or your daughter lesbian.
* You know youÕre boss is cheating people, but he pays you well.
* Your son or daughter is using drugs, and you know it.
* YouÕre the boss. Your people are working their butts off for minimum wage. You know they have to supplement their income with state programs.
* ThereÕs a beggar on the street that asks you for money. You have plenty to spare.
WeÕre faced with all kinds of decisions. If life is anything, the one thing it ainÕt is easy.
-Seven deadly sins:
* Wealth without work.
* Pleasure without conscience.
* Knowledge without character.
* Business without morality.
* Science without humanity.
* Worship without sacrifice.
* Politics without principle. Gandhi
-God and country are a great team. TheyÕve caused all sorts of oppression and bloodshed.
-Warning: Wearing an anti-war or anti-Bush T-shirt could be hazardous to your freedom and first amendment rights.
-Michael Moore once again riles the big boys: MooreÕs latest movie, Sicko, demonstrates the greed and weaknesses of our current health-care system. As expected, the big boys are crying foul, from Washington to LA. You always know you are right on when the Republicans try to discredit you. OÕReilly states that Moore wants a socialist system, which of course he thinks is horrible. IÕm assuming he hasnÕt noticed Medicare, or our social security system. He surely doesnÕt participate in those evil, socialist programs. Moore can stretch the facts, but no one has sued him successfully for misrepresentation of a potential truth. When the government misrepresents the truth, well, that seems to be ok. But let a movie maker stretch the truth in the opposite direction, and suddenly we have someone evil. ThatÕs BushWorld, where defiance of the King equates to treason.