LEAVE IT TO PEEVER
Bumper sticker of the week: Phony war.
Quote of the week: "Rank imperialism and warmongering are not American traditions or values. We do not need to dominate the world. We want and need to work with other nations. We want to find solutions other than killing people. Not in our name, not with our money, not with our childrens blood." Molly Ivins
Some things you may not know about Galesburg:
*Our town hero, Carl Sandburg, was a socialist.
*The town square was just that at one time: square.
*W.C. Fields once played The Orpheum. After his performance, he was seen at the Hotel
Custers bar leaving with a well-known local lady. Do you know who it was?
*Our founding fathers were prohibitionists. When exactly was it they lost control?
*If the inventor of the Ferris wheel was born in Galesburg, why is it we dont have one on permanent display?
*If St. Marys was built for Catholics, and Cottage for Protestants, now what?
*Galesburg was at one time one of the strongest union towns in Illinois. I dont see anything said about that on our website.
*Three things have dominated Galesburgs landscape: Good old boys, the railroad, and green.
I like the new governor. Hes peeving off just about everyone.
My favorite rock albums of all time:
1. The Beatles: "Sgt. Peppers." Nothing like it before or since. One of my top ten tunes, "A Day In The Life."
2. The Eagles: "Hotel California." One of the best groups ever. They are still making music.
3. Crosby, Stills, Nash: Album by the same name. One of the best love songs ever, "My Lady of the Island." Still making music.
4. Meat Loaf: "Bat Out of Hell." Another of my top ten tunes, "Paradise by the Dashboard Light." Still making music.
5. Cream: "Disraeli Gears." Early Clapton. Contains the classic, "Strange Brew."
6. Little Feat: "Waiting for Columbus." Another on my top ten list, "Fat Man in the Bathtub."
7. Simon and Garfunkel: "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme." Gave harmony a new meaning.
8. Jefferson Starship: I fell to sleep listening to Grace many a night. The hallucinogenic "White Rabbit."
9. The Ozark Mountain Daredevils: The classic, "Chicken Train."
10. Jesus Christ Superstar: Much better than Sunday morning.
The Knoxville school district needs money: I bet cutting administration is not going to be on their scare list.
Our health care system suffers from a serious lack of commitment. I say we should all get the
same level of care the President and Congress get. After all, we pay for it.
An unpatriotic act: Help dump the Patriot Act II. This is the continuation of Patriot Act I, coming out of 9/11. While terrorists are bad enough, we now have to worry about our own government terrorizing us. This Patriot Act is Bush and Ashcrofts cheap attempt to make our country safe by seriously limiting our civil rights. Ashcroft is currently attempting to charm us into believing this unpatriotic act is good for us by addressing select crowds around the country. He doesnt even have the guts to stand in front of us, the citizens, and tell us what he has on his little right-winged mind. We need to send him packing, like the Missourians did.
Bush leads war of terror against environment: Decades of sound environmental regulations are being trampled on by the Bush administration. During the first year of his reign, acts of violence against natural resource employees rose dramatically. Bush, and congress, have actively promoted an anti-government mentality. Fed-bashing has become a sport out west. Bush and his cronies want to do what they want to do, which is to make huge profits off public lands. They dont want to hear any liberal hogwash about destroying the environment. They could care less, so long as their bank accounts go up. Another good reason to dump Bush in 2004, before he dumps on us.